So, while it is the case that I could punch a student, or have a scandal that goes viral, or some other horrible event between now and March, barring those unfortunate scenarios… I have passed through every level of evaluation for promotion to professor with flying – FLYING!!! – colors!
RBOC of earning full promotion:
- I totally deserve this shit. I have worked hard and really accomplished a lot since I started on the tenure track in 2003.
- I am excited about what comes next. I’ve got a course release next semester so I can actually finish my motherfucking book manuscript, and I have some new projects in the hopper research-wise, and I feel like I finally have the ability truly to say no to things that aren’t worth my time.
- I am already strategizing about the things I’m going to force my chair to let me do, for I will OUTRANK my chair! Ah, that feels good. Note: apparently what I want to do is to force us to face issues with recruitment and retention head-on. I’m still a fucking masochist, even if I will have FULL RANK.
- If tenure means never having to say you’re sorry, I feel like full promotion means you don’t have to allow people to bloviate and waste your time. I feel like maybe I can finally say, “Um, can we please get back to the agenda?” in a department meeting. And I feel like if people don’t, I can walk out. I am drunk with power!
- I am one of the first women to be promoted to full in my department in over 15 years. The full professors who recommended me were all men, and none of them mentored me in putting together my application. It’s time for a change, yo!
So that’s all. I am going to go and bask now.