So I am taking some golf lessons, with my pal T who is awesome. So part of what’s great is that she’s great, and we are great and fun, and whatever. BUT, my initial thoughts:
- Everybody always talks about how they suck at golf, so it’s totally ok to suck at golf.
- It is one of the few sports that encourages driving around (a) and drinking alcohol while playing (b)
- OUTFITS! SKORTS! HUZZAH!
Thoughts after my first of 5 lessons about why it’s great:
- It’s like knitting. It’s all about teaching your body to have sense memories of things that don’t come naturally. I just need to mentally convince my body to do the things, and then to do them without thinking about them in my head, and it will HAPPEN.
- I am far ahead of the game of the D00dz in the class, who have to unlearn all of their bad habits. I may suck, but I am not doing it wrong. I have nothing to unlearn because I don’t know anything!
- I am really good at following directions that have no reasonable rationale, and I have exceptional persistence.
- I don’t care at all if I look dumb if it gets the desired results.
So our teacher, Miles, tells us that people care most about hitting the ball farther and about being consistent in the way that they hit the ball. I don’t care about these things. What I care about is having fun with my lady friends and about outmatching The Dude when we go golfing (which we shall, for he loves golf, and we pretend to be friends). All I want is to have fun with my laydeez and to beat The Dude’s ass into the ground. These are not lofty goals.