- My freshmen have written excellent papers, and have spent the last week revising and revamping and caring about all the things.
- 3/4 of my Gen Ed students turned their final assignments in early, because of a confusing situation with the dates on the Course Schedule that Is Our Bible. Normal gen ed students would have given themselves a pass – especially since the *day* on the course schedule was right, and I confirmed it in class. But my awesome students – no, they didn’t take the pass. I love that class.
- The Survey students. So unbelievable. Even though it’s the survey.
- My upper-level seminar: students are writing on 6 of the 7 books I’ve assigned. Which is astonishing to me, especially since only 3 have a large critical conversation to support research papers by undergrads. And the ideas? So original and so interesting! For serious!
Colleagues are terrible:
- The battles in academia re so fierce because the stakes are so low.
- I can’t even talk about it. Just – NO!
The End of the Semester is the Worst:
- Do I really need to explain this?
- Apparently one does need to explain it to one’s boyfriend who isn’t an academic, but for serious? It’s just terrible. TERRIBLE.
The short version is this: I love my students, the colleague situation is not cool, and the end of the semester is hardcore terrible. Expect to see me around these parts in a few weeks, when all this is over.