I am not a person who considers shopping a hobby. Or an activity that one does for fun. Like, if somebody asks me about my interests, I’d never say “shopping.” I also don’t tend to like doing “shopping” as a social activity. When I shop, really shop, I shop alone.
So, I’ve been feeling lately like I hate my clothes. As I was doing some knitting this morning (for it is true that I do a lot of thinking while knitting), it hit me: I hate my clothes because I haven’t been on a real wardrobe-renewing fall/winter shopping spree for like 3 or 4 years! Indeed, I’m still wearing a lot of clothes that I bought when I was 20 lbs. heavier! No wonder I feel like my clothes are stupid.
But then I was knitting, and then I had to go to campus and do some student meetings, and then I needed to come home and finish the hat I was knitting and start on the scarf to go with it. But then, as I was knitting this afternoon, I remembered: Macy’s is having a big sale. I love a sale. And I had a 20% off coupon.
So at like 5:30, I ventured off. And I thought to myself, “Self? You need to do some serious shopping. And it’s ok if you spend a lot of money if you find stuff that’s awesome.” (Note: normally when I go shopping I cap myself at like $100 or $150, and I only go shopping like every three months. So giving myself a bigger budget is an unusual thing.)
And I hit the jackpot!!!!
What I bought:
- A pair of dark brown flat boots. (Kind of like a cross between the “riding boot” trend and the “biker boot” trend – Guess? brand)
- A gorgeous mustard-y colored leather bag. (Did I “need” a new purse for fall/winter? Probably not. But This bag looks FABULOUS with the hat that I knitted and the scarf that I’m now knitting. And I needed a change.)
- An amazing slouchy zip-up mock-turtle-neck cardigan, in brown and cream.
(The above were my most expensive purchases)
- A green jean-skirt that I do sort of regret (it has rhinestones on the back pockets), but it was only 11 dollars.
- 3 pairs of earrings (which are beautiful).
- A navy slouchy sweatery thing to be worn over a tank-top.
- A “little black dress” that looks AMAZING on.
- two tank-toppy things that will be great with jeans under a jacket in winter, and great with skirts in the summer.
- A black short-sleeved top.
I tried on approximately 10K more things than this, but I was being selective.
And yes, I spent “a lot” for me… around $310.00. Let’s note that about $130 of that was just on the boots and the bag.
If I had bought all of these things at full price? I’d have spent $750.
So not ONLY did I buy lots of amazing things (excepting, probably, that dumb $11 green skirt that I already regret), but I ALSO get to feel virtuous because had I been shopping irresponsibly I’d only have gotten boots, the purse, and the green skirt for what I spent.
Yay for conspicuous consumption! Yay for buying things on sale! Yay!