So there is this Dating Site on the Internet, which is ginormous because it is free. Historically, I’ve avoided the free sites, thinking (wrongly, incidentally) that the “quality” of dates I would find would be higher. But so anyway, 10 days ago, I was bored, and I thought, let me check out this free site.
WOW. On the one hand, everybody who is on there is really on there, and they really are lonely and looking to make a connection. I swear, I’ve probably gotten emails from like 40-50 dudes in 10 days? (Admittedly, the number got more manageable once I changed my email settings so that they had to write at least a couple of sentences for the email to go through.) And COUNTLESS dudes say they want to meet me and that they like me.
On the other hand, the whole thing is kind of creepy and sleazy. Especially since I spent a total of 10 minutes putting the profile together. I have just one picture up – a selfie where I look super pissed off – and I wrote maybe 8 sentences in my profile. But apparently, there is something about me in this “sea” of potential mates that is intriguing.
But so I have some thoughts about this site.
- On the one hand, this “sea” is one that appears to have been polluted with chemicals, and there are a lot of fucked up fish in it. Tons of emotional and logistical baggage, a fair few dudes who appear to just be trolling for sex (some of whom I think are pretending to be firefighters), and other unattractive things. On the other, after sifting through all of the fish with three eyes that are covered in oil, I have found more guys on this site who have multiple degrees, interesting jobs, and intellectual interests that match my own than I have EVER found on the pay dating sites.
- Many men out there appear to be looking for their “best friend.” If you are over the age of 30 – or even 40 – and you haven’t found a best friend yet, which frankly, is a problem unto itself, I am confident in asserting that you are not going to find that person on a website that I refer to in my head as “Pieces of Shit.”
- On this particular site, many men include photos of them with – wait for it – fish that they’ve caught. The sexxxier amongst those men like to pose shirtless with their fish. I can’t even.
- It is a truth universally acknowledged that if you say a) that you don’t do drama/aren’t interested in drama queens or b) that you aren’t into playing games/are sick of the games that women play, then YOU, the guy, are a drama queen who plays games.
- My favorite profile I’ve read so far – though I have no interest in dating the guy – was just one sentence long: “I am looking for a woman who isn’t a total broken mess.” I think that gives you an indication of this Dating Pool of Last Resort.
At any rate, on my plate at the moment are the Tortured Artist (who is poor, but sweet, and we are having lunch Friday), the Techie Recruiter Guy (who seems cool), and potentially two new Geographically Convenient Guys though we shall see (for the first GCG went out with me twice and then now appears to be blowing me off, which, whatever). Every single one of these has at least a B.A. if not advanced degrees, and each of these guys is not an idiot. Given the way that people discuss this site, I have to say I’m shocked at these results, particularly given that they are ALREADY after only 10 days infinitely BETTER than my results have ever been on other more “reputable” sites that I’ve been using for years. Maybe I just do better with more options? Who knows.